It’s already September. How is that even possible? Anyway, it’s time for my August Wrap Up! I didn’t have the greatest reading month in August as I had a lot going on but I still managed to read something!
Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard #3) by Scott Lynch – ★★★★★ // The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota – ★★★★ // Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1) by Amanda Hocking – ★★★★★ // Love, Tanya by Tanya Burr – ★★★½ // The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1) by Michael J. Sullivan – ★★★★★
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo – ★★★ // Percy Jackson’s Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan – ★★★★★ // The Big Bucket List Book by Gin Sander – ★★★ // Warbreaker (Warbreaker #1) by Brandon Sanderson – ★★★★★
1. The List by Joanna Bolouri – ★★
2. Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard #3) by Scott Lynch – ★★★★★
3. Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2) by Rae Carson – ★★★★★
4. Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1) by Amanda Hocking – ★★★★★
5. Me Before You (Me Before You #1) by Jojo Moyes – ★★★★★
6. The Martian by Andy Weir – ★★★★★
7. Two Non-Fiction Reviews: The Messy Baker & The Big Bucket List Book
8. The Thousand Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars #1) by Rob Thomas & Jennifer Graham – ★★★★
- When I came back from London, I wrote a post all about my work experience at Pan Macmillan – here
- Researching the authors whose books I would automatically buy, I discovered there were several authors whose entire works I want to read. I read one or two books by said authors and decided I would need to read everything they have ever written – here
- A post you all seemed to like very much: My Favorite Villains, Part I – here
- As I wrote more about villains, I discovered that some characters are neither a villain nor a hero. So I discussed that and showed you some examples – here
- As always, I wrote a post talking about all the September new releases I can’t wait to devour – here
Switched at Birth
I have fallen in LOVE with this TV show in August. I’m “only” on season 3 so I have a few more episodes to watch but I already know I’m going to feel empty when I’m finally caught up. At first, I didn’t want to watch it. I thought it was just going to be a show about two girls getting switched and drama ensues. But there’s so much more to it than that! First up, quite some of the main characters are deaf, and use American Sign Language. It’s so unique, and AWESOME. I want to learn it too now, even though I don’t know anyone who is deaf. Especially not a deaf American..
The gif is of the characters Emmett & Bay – WHO I ADORE. YES. Emmett is my favorite character. Honestly, he’s so great. You should watch this show just for him.
Another show I only recently started! This is all about family. Not blood, but family. It’s about this couple, Stef and Lena who have a biological son, adopted children and now foster children. It’s just amazing. You get the new family dynamics, the teenage drama and so on. So much diversity going on. Also, when does anything ever go well? I wonder.
The Three Musketeers
YES! I haven’t watched all the episodes out yet, but I’m already in love with this show. It’s funny, exciting and genius. Plus, it’s got Luke Pasqualino as D’Artagnan… What more could anyone want?
I did a two-week work experience at Pan Macmillan in London! It was probably one of the greatest two weeks of my life. I feel like this experience not only taught me about publicity/communication in publishing but also about myself. Living on your own, in a country where you don’t know anyone, even if it is just for 2,5 weeks is quite eye-opening!
I’m trying to turn my lifestyle into a healthier one. This month, I started keeping a calendar of my workouts, my water consumption and so on. I love the Yoga With Adrienne YouTube channel! She is the best yoga teacher for me. She’s kind, down to earth and has a nice and calming voice. If you’d like to try out yoga, I’d definitely recommend her channel. I’ve also discovered an amazing way of doing cardio! It’s not a secret that I loathe running. But dance? I LOVE IT. So when I discovered The Fitness Marshall on YouTube, I was over the moon. His cardio dance workouts are fun and amazing, but you’ll work up a good sweat while you’re at it!
I’m starting to rekindle my love for cooking by trying out new recipes! I’ve tried a roasted cauliflower one, a bell pepper-tomato sauce for my pasta and yesterday I made chicken with sweet potatoes and chickpeas in the oven. They all turned out absolutely delicious! Oh, I also made Tanya Burr’s cookies with milk and white chocolate.
Not so great things
My laptop is broken. Well, the laptop still works but the screen is broken. So you can’t actually see anything… But luckily, I can still access my files by connecting a standing screen. I ordered a new laptop two weeks ago, but it arrived broken. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So now I have sent it back and I will get a new one. God knows when though. So yeah. If you’re wondering where all my money went, that’s where. Also, my ereader broke in July, and I still haven’t gotten a new one…